I host an art journaling group called G27 Journal Junkies. I read this online article about manipulators and thought it would be a great theme to explore in our art journaling group. I’ll list the article below if you would like to read it as well.
Disclaimer: I am not a therapist or trying to be in our art group. The act of creating art is therapy and that is the purpose of our group.
After reading the article I wanted to remember your, mine…our fundamental rights, as listed in Psychology Today magazine:
- You have the right to be treated with respect.
- You have the right to express your feelings, opinions and wants.
- You have the right to set your own priorities.
- You have the right to say “no” without feeling guilty.
- You have the right to get what you pay for.
- You have the right to have opinions different than others.
- You have the right to take care of and protect yourself from being threatened physically, mentally or emotionally.
- You have the right to create your own happy and healthy life.
After dealing with manipulators in my life it took me a long time to realize and make these boundaries. So I made a journal page pictured above to remind myself of my rights. Thanks for taking a look.
Inspired by this article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/communication-success/201406/how-spot-and-stop-manipulators